Severn Trent Inexperienced Energy, a waste administration firm, confirmed the fireplace had occurred at its Cassington AD facility, close to Yarnton, in an announcement posted on Facebook on Monday night.
It stated a digester tank was struck by the lightning at 7.20pm, inflicting the gases inside the tank to ignite.
The corporate stated no-one had been injured within the incident and it was working with emergency companies to safe the positioning.
Movies started circulating on social media on Monday displaying a big fireball and the sky within the space pulsing an orange color.
Jack Frowde, 34, from Oxford, who works at Oxford College, stated: “I used to be sitting in my kitchen when the entire room lit up with a superb white gentle, then adopted by an enormous crack which seemed like actually heavy thunder.
“I seemed out of the kitchen window and it was as if the sky was pulsating orange.
“I ran to the again to seize the orange glow because it light after about 20 seconds.”
Stuart Hosking, in his 50s, from Oxford, an AI enterprise director and former contestant on Large Brother, stated: “We had been fairly shut. I assumed it was the solar setting, till I noticed the flickering and smoke.
“The lights flickered in the home then a flash, then a rumble like thunder, however a single bang.”
Oxfordshire Hearth and Rescue Service and Thames Valley Police have been contacted for remark.