Keep knowledgeable with free updates
Merely signal as much as the International Economic system myFT Digest — delivered on to your inbox.
Israel imposed a “full siege” of the Gaza Strip, mobilised a document 300,000 reservists and pummelled the Hamas-controlled enclave by air because the Palestinian militant group threatened the lives of dozens of hostages.
The Israeli army mentioned it had moved on to the offensive after regaining management of territory infiltrated by Hamas through the weekend assault, the deadliest inside Israel since 1948.
Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu mentioned the marketing campaign was “simply getting began” as he vowed a “tough and horrible” expertise for Hamas and promised “to alter the Center East”.
However Hamas mentioned on Monday night it will execute a captive for every new air strike that hit Palestinian civilians and got here with out warning. The group has kidnapped no less than 100 folks, together with ladies, kids, Israeli troopers and overseas nationals.
Greater than 1,500 folks have died since Saturday, together with greater than 900 Israeli civilians and troops, and 687 folks in Gaza, based on Israeli media and a Palestinian well being ministry spokesman. Here’s the latest from the third day of war.
We now have extra protection and evaluation of the assault right here:
And right here’s what else I’m protecting tabs on immediately:
International economic system: The IMF will publish its International Financial Outlook and International Monetary Stability Report.
Taiwan markets closed: On immediately’s Double Tenth Nationwide Day, Taiwan marks the anniversary of the Wuchang Rebellion.
Corporations: Samsung will difficulty its third-quarter pre-earnings steerage.
5 extra high tales
1. Advisers to Evergrande’s worldwide bondholders have warned of a possible liquidation after the Chinese language property developer’s restructuring plan was unexpectedly derailed final month. The bondholder group criticised what they known as Evergrande’s “botched efforts to obtain PRC regulatory approval”.
2. Claudia Goldin has received the Nobel Prize for economics for advancing the understanding of ladies’s labour market outcomes. The committee awarding the prize mentioned the Harvard professor had “offered the first comprehensive account of ladies’s earnings and labour market outcomes all through the centuries”.
3. China’s largest vaccine firm by income has agreed to purchase £2.5bn price of GSK’s shingles vaccine, the UK-based pharmaceutical firm has mentioned. The take care of Zhifei comes as GSK goals to double international gross sales of its greatest promoting shot, Shingrix, by 2026. Read more on the deal.
4. Sanctioned oligarch Mikhail Fridman has returned to Moscow for the primary time since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Fridman arrived in Moscow from Israel over the weekend, based on two folks aware of the matter. He had beforehand been in London regardless of western sanctions in opposition to him.
5. Odey Asset Administration’s wealth enterprise is to shut and return property to purchasers months after founder Crispin Odey was accused of sexual misconduct. The wealth enterprise is closing in each Guernsey and the UK, based on folks aware of the matter. The Monetary Conduct Authority mentioned it will “work intently with the agency because it winds down, to make sure purchasers are handled pretty.” Read the full story.
Please be part of us on October 11 at 2pm BST/9pm HKT for an unique webinar exploring the macroeconomic tendencies in Japan and the way they’re impacting the latest rally within the Japanese inventory market. Register here today.
The Massive Learn
Turkey’s Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, identified for his unorthodox financial insurance policies, has beforehand known as rates of interest the “mom and father of all evil”. Since his re-election, the president seems to have deserted his unconventional concepts, however buyers stay cautious. Has Erdoğan really embraced a more traditional economic approach?
We’re additionally studying . . .
‘Even with a weak economic system, Xi is feeling emboldened’: The previous Donald Trump adviser and China skilled Matt Pottinger talks to Henry Mance.
Future of labor: The coronavirus pandemic has prompted a transfer to greener, better equipped and extra central places of work.
Holy roast: From crypt to cathedral, these eight London coffee stops are situated inside in stunning and historic locations of worship.
Chart of the day
Hong Kong’s largest builders have shed a fifth of their market value this yr, as town’s greenback peg forces it to match the Federal Reserve’s “greater for longer” method to rates of interest. Analysts say financial fallout from the peg’s defence and slowing Chinese language development may drag developer shares even decrease.
Take a break from the information
The brand new podcast McCartney: A Life in Lyrics is constructed on recordings never intended for public consumption. It’s a triumph — and a rarity in music podcasts, writes Fiona Sturges.
Extra contributions from Gordon Smith and Tee Zhuo