Because the battle enters its 636th day, these are the principle developments.
Right here is the state of affairs on Tuesday, November 21, 2023.
- Ukraine mentioned combating intensified across the Russian-occupied jap city of Bakhmut. Volodymyr Fityo, a spokesperson for Ukrainian floor forces, mentioned Russia was focusing its assaults on Klishchiivka, a close-by village that was retaken by Ukrainian forces in September. “Eleven assaults have been repelled up to now 24 hours,” he mentioned. “The enemy is making an attempt to dislodge our males from defensive positions round Klishchiivka.” Russia’s defence ministry mentioned it had crushed again greater than 30 Ukrainian assaults in and round Bakhmut up to now week.
- Ukrainian authorities mentioned three individuals had been killed and one injured in Russian shelling within the southern Kherson and the central Dnipropetrovsk areas. Some energy strains and a fuel pipeline had been additionally broken.
- Ukrainian police mentioned a soldier and a girl died when a grenade exploded in a Kyiv condominium. The reason for the blast, which injured a second man, was not instantly clear.
- The USA State Division mentioned it was barring Russian Colonel Azatbek Omurbekov and Russian Guard Corporal Daniil Frolkin from coming into the US over their alleged involvement in human rights violations within the Ukrainian city of Andriivka.
Politics and diplomacy
- Ukraine fired its two prime cyber-defence officers – Yury Shchyhol, head of the State Particular Communications Service of Ukraine, and his deputy Victor Zhora – amid an ongoing investigation into corruption over software program purchases.
- Fox Corp Chief Govt Lachlan Murdoch travelled to Kyiv the place he met President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. Ukraine mentioned the assembly was a “crucial sign” of help at a time when the Israel-Gaza battle has diverted world consideration from the battle in Ukraine. Zelenskyy mentioned Fox Information journalist Benjamin Corridor, who was badly wounded protecting the battle final 12 months, and Jerome Starkey, a journalist with the UK tabloid The Solar had been additionally on the assembly.
- In an interview with The Solar that was additionally revealed within the UK’s Instances newspaper, which is a part of the identical media group, Zelenskyy accused Russia of making an attempt to stoke stress from the Balkans to the Center East. “Ukraine at this time [is] within the centre of those world dangers of this Third World Struggle,” Zelenskyy mentioned. Urging Ukraine’s allies to keep up their army help, he acknowledged the shortage of progress on some components of the battlefield, however famous successes within the Black Sea. “We actually deployed a part of the Russian fleet,” he told the paper. “We did it.”
- Russia positioned Ukrainian singer Jamala, who gained the 2016 Eurovision Tune Contest, on its needed listing. The unbiased Russian information web site Mediazona mentioned Jamala, whose actual title is Susana Jamaladinova, had been charged beneath a legislation that bans spreading faux details about the Russian army and the battle in Ukraine. Jamala, a Crimean Tatar, has lengthy been a critic of Russia and advised Zelenskyy final 12 months that her precedence was to “remind that foreigners got here to my home to kill and mutilate life, to destroy and rewrite my tradition”. She responded to the Russian arrest warrant on Instagram with a facepalm emoji.
- A Japanese delegation led by senior business and international ministry officers and together with enterprise representatives visited Ukraine for talks forward of subsequent 12 months’s Ukraine Restoration Convention, which shall be hosted by Japan.
- US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin made an unannounced go to to Kyiv and unveiled a further $100m package deal to supply artillery munitions, interceptors for air defence and anti-tank weaponry. Austin promised Zelenskyy that US help could be for the “lengthy haul”. He additionally met with Defence Minister Rustem Umerov.